Monday, August 8, 2016

Rituals

Do you ever just do nothing for the whole day? Yesterday was one of those rare Sundays that included nothing more than reading the paper, taking a nap, then going to visit my parents.


My sister and I honor a long family tradition that includes taking the time to visit our parents on most Sunday afternoons. (As we did with my grandparents and great-grandparents as children.) We call them almost every day to ensure they are both well and don't need our help with anything.



Going for a long walk and then watering the shade garden typically happens at daybreak but not today. I also fill the birdfeeders and put fresh water in the birdbath before I start my usual workdays. I worked seven days a week for many years. Taking these little breaks for something less taxing helped to keep me sane.


Personal rituals and traditions give me balance and ground me. For example, giving thanks for all that I have and exercising always starts my day positively.

On hot summer days with nothing special planned, I always wear something breezy and comfortable.

The cool, soft, comfortable top is by Focus, and the khaki pants are the "Lize" style straight-leg pants by Lior Paris, both via ShopMyFairLady.com. They offer most of the clothing lines I enjoy wearing with always excellent service included, so I remain loyal to them. The sandals are old from Nine West.

3 comments:

rosary said...

Family is always wonderful! What a wonderful SUnday afternoon tradition. #greatdaughter

Kathy said...

I do like those do-nothing days but I have to teach myself it is ok to do nothing. I always feel like I should exercise (per the doctor) or clean house (per Mom's long ago teaching) or just DO something....anything. But I look around and see those other things ARE done so taking it easy is not some kind of sin.

Cheapo Mimi in Nashville said...

I find that a big part of life for most of us during our second fifty years is taking care of aging parents. Stressful, yes. But the right thing to do even if we did not grow up being particularly close to our folks (me). Lucky you that you and your sister seem to share this duty/responsibility/pleasure/chore/??