Sunday, January 17, 2016

Traveling to Warmer Climates

Are you on your way to a warm-weather vacation or maybe a cruise? When I am lucky enough to head south or out to L.A. during the winter months, this post shows how I pack for the trip.

A shirt that buttons all the way down the front and is generous enough in fit not to gap at the bust when closed is a great find. I love the option of being able to wear a shirt open as if it were a jacket with a whisper-light tank top in summer. This shirt, tank, and pants are all from J.Jill.


The cuff bracelet above is from S.M. Bradford on Hilton Head Island. The sandals were by Dolce Vita via Nordstrom last year. The tote bag was from T.J.Maxx last year. The straw hat is several years old. 

I only look for items of good quality with simple classic details that are not memorable or trendy. I always try to invest well to wear my items for several years instead of just one season. Please note that I have been wearing J.Jill items for several years, so some of the things I am showing you might not be available now.

Denim and white with tan accessories have been a life-long favorite color combination. 

A note about sandals: I look for the type that has a strap at the back so that they stay on. I am not a fan of flip flops of any style. I wear those only on the day I have a pedicure.




These slip-on sneakers are by Sperry. They would be perfect for a day of shopping.

Fit has become much more important to me as my body ages. Sixty is a whole different ballgame than fifty! I now look for tops and jackets that skim the body and fall nicely from my shoulders.



Linen has always been one of my favorite fabrics to wear in the heat of summer. It wrinkles, but as my friend, The Duchess, used to say, "They are rich wrinkles, just go with it."

There aren't many other fabrics that breathe or feel more comfortable in the heat and humidity. Wear a stunning piece of jewelry and awesome shoes with linen for a more polished look.








The video below shows the items I would take for a five-day cruise. You might also take a bathing suit and a cover-up, a sundress or skirts. (I rarely ever wear those items, so in the interest of being totally honest with you, I only included things I would actually take.) 

The key is to take things you can mix and match for different combinations that are appropriate for the occasion. (The same as my wardrobe at home but on a much smaller scale.)

These products were supplied by J.Jill.



2 comments:

Andrea said...

Great video, Susan!

Shirts that double as a lightweight jacket are a great idea to take on a cruise and a smart investment in general. Lovely color palette, too.

Now I wish I went on a cruise! :-)

Unknown said...

Love these looks.