Sunday, August 16, 2015

Saturday Adventure

It was the perfect day for taking a long drive into the beautiful mountains of Virginia to visit with dear friends who moved there a couple of years ago.



Our weather is a bit cooler now, so I am wearing jeans, a tank, and a necklace from Chico's with a white denim jacket from J.Jill. The bag is from Finley House Couture in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. The sandals are by Rampage via Belk.




I was glad I wore the jacket. It served me well on the long drive through the country in a convertible.




I was so happy to see my sweet friend Vicky. We are pictured in her fabulous new store called Missing Pieces, located in Damascus, Virginia. I had so much fun shopping there! She had some beautiful antique pieces and unique treasures from all around the world.




Vicky and her husband have been lovingly restoring this fabulous one-hundred-year-old home by the river for a couple of years.




This is the screened-in porch entered from their elegantly appointed kitchen. The view is of a large wooded island in the middle of a river. Vicky has done such a great job decorating their beautiful home.




We did, indeed, feel welcome!




This is the seating area, including a fire pit and a grill out by the river. That island makes the perfect neighbor!



The fountain is original from the early 1900s!




I can't wait to sit by a crackling fire while listening to the river rushing by.



To my utter delight, these wild baby ducks and their mom came running to me because they knew I had crackers in my hand.








When they finished eating their cracker crumbs, they sat down at my feet!




If you would love to spend a weekend in a beautiful town that is almost as it was a hundred years ago, I highly recommend Damascus, Virginia




Several hiking trails pass right through the town, including the famous Appalachian Trail. A unique biking experience can be had on the Virginia Creeper Trail, which is also located here. For these reasons, this is known as a Trail Town. 

Many quaint Bed & Breakfasts are found here. There are also several lovely places to eat and shop. It is located just a few minutes from Abingdon, Virginia, which is also one of our favorite towns to visit.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I came across this post while searching for J.Jill ideas and am so glad I did. Love your casual outfit AND the Abingdon/Damascus area as I spent summers there as a child. My mother grew up in Abingdon and was born in Johnson City... small world! Your friend's pretty home reminds me of some I remember in Abingdon. What a nice blog... have added it to my bloglovin feed. :)