Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Wear It Wednesday - Jeans

Jeans are one of my all-time favorite items of clothing. That being said, they provide a lot of frustration for me as well.


The jeans I am wearing above are the least favorite pair in my closet. The trendy gray/brown "dirty" tint to the wash and the slouchy fit is not flattering.

Mr. Mickey and I were going out for bagels and coffee, so I thought I looked OK until I saw this picture. The jeans are now in the To-Go Bag!

Trends in jeans are not always a good idea for us ladies of a certain age. These Junya Watanabe jeans are $1,165!


While they might look cute on an eighteen-year-old, they certainly would not be right for this fifty-eight-year-old.

These Atlantic Sea dark wash jeans would be a much better choice for most of us.


The slim straight leg allows me to wear heels or flats with them—jeans by Chico's.

If you wear loafers or other flats or perhaps boots with your jeans, you might enjoy a boot cut pair of jeans. Note: I wear athletic shoes with jeans or yoga pants ONLY when running or walking for exercise in the neighborhood. 


These jeans are Levi's.

In most cases, jeans with a jacket or a nice sweater are perfectly acceptable in most situations. I would never wear jeans to a job interview, to a court date or a business meeting, to a gallery opening, or to the symphony. Nor would I wear them when giving a dinner party, to a wedding, or a funeral.

Some of my favorite jeans are Talbots, Chico's, Not Your Daughter's Jeans, Michael Kors, Kut from the Kloth, and Levi's. I look for straight legs, a dark wash, and no embellishments. When buying jeans that stretch, I buy a size smaller than I normally wear. After I have them on for an hour, I am so glad I did.

I usually add a third element, such as a jacket, a vest, or a cardigan, when I wear jeans. I feel more appropriate and also much more comfortable.


Not all my jeans are blue. I love black jeans most of all, but I do have lots of white and on occasion, I have worn brown or red. The tone on tone patterned jeans below was out of character for me, but I like them.


Speaking of white jeans or white jackets... I wear them all year long in dry weather. No white after Labor Day is an incredibly outdated fashion rule.

5 comments:

Kristien62 said...

You and I are fans of the same brands. I recently discovered Kut from the Kloth and love the fit. And Chico's short length always fits me perfectly. Yet styles do change and I have gotten rid of several pairs this year even though they were perfectly serviceable.

Joanne said...

Personally, I MUCH MUCH prefer the top picture to the bottom picture. What is it you do not like about the top picture? Of course I think you could probably take a flour sack, assessorise it and look stunning.

Donna said...

You and I are in agreement on the first pair of jeans. That type of wash is not a favorite. I prefer classic dark blue, black or some of the tan/khaki colors. Miss Joanne is right: you could wearing a flour sack and look very chic indeed.

Unknown said...

Looking for a brand of jeans that do not look baggy after one wearing,,

Susan said...

Faye, you might want to buy stretch jeans in a size smaller than you normally wear. In about an hour they will fit fine.