Sunday, September 22, 2013

Oh So Slimming!

I wore a So Slimming ™ collection Ponte skirt from Chico's to dinner last night. 



This turquoise silk jacket I bought at Stein Mart earlier this year had never been worn. Now that cooler weather has arrived, I paired it with a black tank also from Chico's. 

The Ponte Collection  dress from Chico's is great fitting and very comfortable. I tried it last week but didn't buy it because I felt it was too short for me. Now that I see these pictures, I realize that I could wear the shorter dress with opaque hose and a bright jacket and still look appropriate. 

Earlier this year, I promised myself not to buy anything else black, but as a base with a brighter color near the face, it can still work with my softer coloring. I love how comfortable all the pieces are in the Ponte Collection, so I will be at Chico's again later today.



Some of you have written to ask why I so rarely wear a skirt or dress. My calves and ankles are thick and too short compared to the rest of my body, so I am usually more comfortable in pants. I can never wear tall boots for that same reason. All my boots are the short version.

We all have our little tips and guidelines that we follow to look and feel our best. In sharing some of mine, I hope you will be inspired to try new combinations of the things already in your closet and perhaps make your next shopping trip less stressful. 


I found these T-Strap heels by BGBGeneration at T.J.Maxx last month. I am wearing nude Calvin Klein hosiery.

Since the rain was pouring down this evening, we shot these photos in my living room. That is not what I had planned, but sometimes you have to go with the flow (pun intended).

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Very pretty outfit. I love your hair in this pic.

Lynn said...

Nice outfit. I think your legs look great, but understand that we all feel that some parts of us arent as pleasing as others.

Donna said...

Love the outfit - the color of the jacket is very pretty, and what's not to love about a well-fitting, comfortable black skirt.

Leyla said...

What a pretty shade your jacket is Susan! It compliments your soft colouring beautifully and looks stunning with black. I hope you had a great night. :-)

ozviking said...

Susan, you look fabulous in the skirt. I understand that sometimes we all become conscious about a figure issue we see as a fault, but honestly - I don't see anything wrong with your ankles or calves. Many women would be delighted to have your legs. I think too much figure analysis create problems where none exist. I wonder what your readers think about detailed figure analysis? Helpful or not?

Sue said...

I love black with a bright color! I seem to do that a lot myself.

Moving For Love said...

The outfit looks great on you. I have to admit that it is wonderful seeing the cooler weather starting to arrive......jackets can hide a multitude of sins .:)

sharon said...

Hi Susan, I just found your blog last week. I enjoy it so much, and having been referring to it regularly as I pack for an 11 day cruise with my husband. I also love Chicos! I have become a regular customer this past year! You look great in the black skirt. I am glad you shared about your hose. I have struggled with the whole hose issue. I just don't feel comfortable without them. Your legs look natural and actually hose free! Thanks for all your great outfit ideas and inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Susan, just wanted to say thanks so much for your wonderful blog!
I discovered you about 2 months ago and you've helped me move out of a bad rut thats lasted way too long.
I stopped dressing in oversized black clothes and went and bought some lovely, well fitted clothes instead, brightening things up with colourful scarves and tops.
I feel SO much better about myself. I've changed my diet and lost 16lbs and dropped two dress sizes and plan on losing the rest of the weight I've been carrying for far too long.
I do have a request though as I am now buying clothes again and would love to know how you store your clothes- by colour? by styles - I just am not sure. Do you have any tips for keeping my knitwear nicely shaped?

thanks so much again :) and I think your ankles look great!

Susan said...

Please look over some of my older posts. There are tips on keeping your closet neat by color and tips for storing your accessories and knits. Here is one such post. Thank you for the lovely message! Congratulations! http://fiftynotfrumpy.blogspot.com/2013/04/closets-revealed.html

bluehuewonderland said...

Hello, you are looking lovely in the turquoise with black. I've been looking at those beautiful shoes at TJ Max too. I think you look great in a skirt.

blue hue wonderland

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Susan, sorry I do not get by faster...but I had to tell you that you look lovely and this is a great outfit. I am like you and prefer to wear pants and jeans...blogging has actually motivated me to wear skirts more often. You look great and should get much wear out of the Chicos skirt!!

Laurie said...

Susan,
You always look lovely. This color is great on you. I'm keeping black on the bottom as I too prefer the lighter, or brighter colors next to my face.

Robyn said...

Where are you? I keep checking in expecting a Thursday and Sunday post but nothing. I suspect you have moved and you are going to tell us all about it

What is up?