Friday, September 14, 2012

An Evening Out

Mickey and I are on our way to an evening fundraiser. My jacket is a very lightweight wrap style with a collar, and I'm wearing a black tank under it. The lined black crêpe skirt is a bit shorter in the front and has a ruffle. The black satin sandals are by Sam & Libby. 


Over the years, I have collected pieces that are appropriate for evening wear. I mix and match them to create looks for the numerous evening events we attend. When I'm shopping, I always look for pieces that will work well with this mix. I can never find anything if I go shopping at the time of the event, so I've learned it's good to be prepared for anything with separates that can be paired together. (Actually, this philosophy extends to my daytime wardrobe as well.) 


I normally wear only one piece of major "bling" for the evening. Here I've added a dinner ring with a big pink stone mounted in antique silver. I always wear earrings because my ears are pierced, but they are very understated diamond wide half hoops. Resist the temptation to wear every shiny thing you own for the evening. That makes you look much older and too cluttered. The tiny evening bag is woven black satin with a simple silver ball closure. Always switch to a small bag for the evening.

Thanks for all your sweet birthday wishes yesterday. I had a wonderful day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and elegant as always! I agree that it is always a good idea to have a lot of nice basic pieces to build upon because there's nothing worse that a last minute panic of "I have NOTHING to wear!" thanks for the great ideas!